Wednesday, October 26

The Robots Speak the Truth about the Game Industry

When I saw William Gibbon's So You Want to Work in the Video Game Industry video about two robots talking about the game industry and what it's really like, I couldn't stop laughing.

Watch the video here:

This is so true and I just sat there thinking to myself, "This is the stuff they don't teach you in college." It's the kind of information that I wish I would have known about as an artist as well. My professors always talked about the "art" of video games and how awesome it is to be a part of something grand, but at the same time I could have benefited from learning about the corporate side of things instead of learning first hand without any warning at all.

As mentioned in the video, GAMES ARE PRODUCTS, nothing more to the publishers and suits that are selling them. It truly is about money and what sells. So having to deal with that as a developer can be quite challenging at times. I am reminded of when Infinity Ward wanted to make a game called Modern Warfare and all the executives fought it tooth and nail because WWII games were what sold, and they just wanted more of the same. Of course we all know how that went down. Very well indeed.

It's the developers and the individual employees that have to fight for those changes, so of course that can wear one down and put a lot of stress on the team to try to make things work despite all of the craziness. Because at the end of the day the people with the money win. Not the artist with a vision, the designer with an amazing idea, the programmer with awesome code, or the writer with a fantastic story.

I noticed that there are a lot of negative comments on the video, such as, "You're crushing young people's hopes and dreams." I'm assuming that most of those are coming from gamers and not industry professionals, because as stated previously, the points made are valid and it's just to inform others about what they might be unaware of.

I would never trade in my video game experience for the world, but I was one of those artists that went in with higher expectations than I should have. It would have been nice to know more about the business side of things to help me prepare for what was in store. That goes for anyone on the team, not just artists; producers, programmers, designers, writers, testers, etc.

Cheers,
~Claudia

2 comments:

  1. I really like your draw work, and thank you for invited me on youtube!!!^,^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you hun. No problem at all. <3

    Best,
    ~Claudia

    ReplyDelete


Jojoba Oil Benefits - 10 Amazing Ways To Use It | CLAUDIASUTTON.blogspot: Health and Lifestyle